Friday, September 07, 2007

What I've been doing while they're gone





This is my first time ever I think where I have had only one child home all day. I was very excited at the prospect of all the things I could get done and all the new things I could begin. REALITY CHECK! The moment the three older boys started school, Finn went through some sort of... transition... yes that's what I will call it. My sweet little boy who followed me around to watch and observe me, ate at the scheduled times and most importantly napped at the appropriate times has left. In his place is a little boy who will systematically go from room to room destroying things; dumping them,ripping them you name it. Taking things (Bob is still missing a sneaker, it has literally disappeared) . Demanding things, he will stand in the kitchen pointing at the cupboard the he knows the cookies are in (I am not sure who gave him this information), yelling in his own language (Lithuanian I think) getting louder and louder. Should you choose to deny his cookie request he will look at you, very calmly and gently sit down on the floor, then very gently move to a lying postion and then KICK HIS FEET, BEAT HIS HANDS,SCREAM, YELL, GROWL, ROAR. In a way I kind of finding it amusing because he obviously take a lot of care and planning in this act. This is proven because he doesn't just throw himself down angrily. I am handling this temper tantrum business by walking away and ignoring it, pretending I don't hear it, and showing him it gets him nothing. He has gone so far as to follow me into another room and repeat the whole process from beginning to end. The absolute hardest part is to hold my laughter in because it just looks so funny.
Well, I did accomplish a few things in spite of this child's well planned plot against me. I cleaned up and finished the sewing room/office.
I knit my very first pair of socks. They are for Finn and he thieved the yarn numerous times before the yarn became socks. Then he took the socks as soon as he saw them finished and demanded I put them on him by putting the sock on top of his foot and screaming. He wore them a good part of the day even though it was still extemely hot out; he likes the colors I think. Anyway, they were made using the Magic Loop method and peaches and cream cotton yard in some very loud color. I forget the color name and the label is gone I wonder where Finn put it....
I also started planting a fall garden it remains to be seen how this will turn out.

3 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

I love it! We have all seen our left behind child go through this and return to their loving selves soon enough! Really.
The sewing room is gorgeous! Feel the creative energy flowing?!
And the socks are great-I am so proud of you!

Marsel said...

I can't believe you did socks before I did -- truly, I shame my heritage sometimes...! No, really, they're very cute, great job.

As for Finn, Abigail was terrible for that first week or so of school, too, even though David is still home. But now she has figured out the new normal and is happy again. You can hope...! :-)

Marsel said...

If you get a chance, check out http://kelleypetkun.typepad.com/yarn_rambles/ -- my mom and I enjoy her blog (I am dying over her latest post about the Pi shawl), and she recently posted about a pair of socks for which she used the Magic Loop method.