Thursday, October 14, 2010

Autumn Addictions

Autumn table runner made entirely of scraps I had lying around. (That makes it free!)
Single from purple roving

I was a little leary of investing in a spinning wheel not knowing for sure if it was an interest that would pass once I "used up" my curiosity.  I am thinking now it's definately a hobby (obsession)  I'll enjoy for the rest of my life.  I love how it keeps suprising me. I love how autumn makes you want to make things even if your particular weather doesn't feel very fall like. 

Three 2-ply skeins made from the singles

Merino otherwise known as "Lassie Fur"

Hated the single it wasn't spinning up like I thought it should

Then loved the tweedy look of a 2-ply skein!

Unfelted slipper

Slippers overdyed then felted
Mine are on the right

 I really didn't care for how the slippers finished up, it just wasn't the way I pictured. They were supposed to be red not rusty orange but when you're dying with Kool Aid it isn't an exact science I guess.  They were knit as a gift for someone who saw my felted slippers and said they wanted a pair, but I'm thinking they're not good enough now and when I tried them on to sort of shape them after felting they were way more comfortable then the ones I made for myself.  Next time I think if I over dye I will do it before the knitting.

2 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Wow, you have done the season proud! I love the tablerunner-nice quilting. The spinning looks lovely-you are doing great! The koolaid dyeing turned out a nice color even if it isn't exactly what you pictured-get used to dyeing bringing its own surprise to the table!

Marsel said...

Wow, Jess, your spinning has gotten really beautiful! Good for you!

Decorating for autumn becomes even more important when the local weather doesn't match the season. The table runner is very pretty.