Thursday, January 29, 2009

Rainy Day Reading

Today is a rainy day, it's been raining all night and suppose to rain the majority of the day.

Finn and I drove the boys to school this morning even though Rylin insisted it would be better for him to walk in the rain and as he owns a rain coat sincerely thinks this should to be totally acceptable to all parties. It was unacceptable to his brothers as they are old enough to know they will not enjoy sitting in sopping wet sneakers and socks all day. It was also unacceptable to me because in spite of rain coat ownership I have definite fear of one of my neighbors contacting Florida Children's Services about my children tromping throught the Tsunami on their way to school. In this day and age allowing your children to become 'damp' is most likely child abuse, as is discipline and giving your child dirty looks in public.

Finn thought this what a great adventure because the one person in this family who does not own a rain coat (me) is the one who had to stand in the down pour fastening him into his car seat while he squirmed and told me over and over "It's raining, Mommy." Hmmm... I'd noticed.

So what does one do on a rainy day? Read, of course. What is the perfect rainy day read? I went to my book shelf and perused the books I have yet to read. There are a few I had procured from my grandparent's house, among them I knew I'd find what I was looking for. Can you think of any book more perfect on a chilly rainy day than Wuthering Heights?

These books are not some cheap old paperbacks. My copy of Wuthering heights was published in 1907. There is another book named 'Anna Clayton' that was published in 1856. Depsite the stains the covers are beautiful and Anna Clayton has a very intricate design on the cover. The pages feel as close to silky fabric as you could get in a fictional book. I think back then books must've been quite a treat as tv wasn't invented until quite a long time after. No stupid dust jackets covered them, I sincerely dislike book jackets and when I am reading a hard cover book I usually remove them. I wonder who in my family read Wuthering Heights before me. Grandma? Gram Galla?

I'm still not over my cold and it's going around the family. I'm calling it 'The Consumption' and taking to my chaise to read and drink tea.


















2 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

All you need is chocolate!!! Sounds delighteful! Beautiful old books btw.

Marsel said...

Like I told you on the phone, if you have consumption, you get to go to the sanitarium to rest, read, and do handwork. Sounds appealing in some ways...!